Easy Homemade Sour Syrup Mix
You’ll love knowing how to make your own sour syrup mix with fresh ingredients! Skip the unnecessary preservatives and make homemade sweet & sour mix for your next cocktail or mocktail!
I was always under the impression that sour mix was a very complicated thing to make, and could only be bought at the grocery store. So imagine my surprise when I discovered that sour mix is really just simple syrup with lemon and lime juice thrown into the mix? Yep, I know, pretty great.
So right then and there I made up my mind to never buy sour mix again. Drinking sugar isn’t great, but if I am gonna do it, I at least want to be sure that I’m doing so in the most healthy & fresh way possible.
Homemade sour mix is a great addition to any craft cocktail. The combination of lemons & limes cuts the sugar and will balance out many different flavor variations!
use this homemade sour syrup mix in a Bruléed Lemon Sour – it’s delicious!
I decided to package these up to give as gifts, try pairing it with a bottle of Perrier or bottle of gin for a fun hostess gift! You can get the labels by heading to Today’s Creative Life!
- 1 cup lemon juice (5-7 lemons)
- 1 cup lime juice (7-10 limes)
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- Juice the citrus, and strain out any seeds or pulp. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water, simmer on very low heat until the sugar has completely disolved.
- Allow the simple syrup to cool completely. Combine the citrus and syrup in a large mason jar, screw on a lid, and shake very well.
- You can divide into smaller mason jars, or leave in the large mason jar. Refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.