Easy Homemade Sour Syrup Mix
This post may contain affiliate links, please read my disclosure policy.
You’ll love knowing how to make your own sour syrup mix with fresh ingredients! Skip the unnecessary preservatives and make homemade sweet & sour mix for your next cocktail or mocktail!
I was always under the impression that sour mix was a very complicated thing to make, and could only be bought at the grocery store. So imagine my surprise when I discovered that sour mix is really just simple syrup with lemon and lime juice thrown into the mix? Yep, I know, pretty great.
So right then and there I made up my mind to never buy sour mix again. Drinking sugar isn’t great, but if I am gonna do it, I at least want to be sure that I’m doing so in the most healthy & fresh way possible.
Homemade sour mix is a great addition to any craft cocktail. The combination of lemons & limes cuts the sugar and will balance out many different flavor variations!
use this homemade sour syrup mix in a Bruléed Lemon Sour – it’s delicious!
I decided to package these up to give as gifts, try pairing it with a bottle of Perrier or bottle of gin for a fun hostess gift! You can get the labels by heading to Today’s Creative Life!
- 1 cup lemon juice (5-7 lemons)
- 1 cup lime juice (7-10 limes)
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- Juice the citrus, and strain out any seeds or pulp. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water, simmer on very low heat until the sugar has completely disolved.
- Allow the simple syrup to cool completely. Combine the citrus and syrup in a large mason jar, screw on a lid, and shake very well.
- You can divide into smaller mason jars, or leave in the large mason jar. Refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.