Chocolate Doughnuts with Strawberry Champagne Glaze
Make these delicious chocolate doughnuts with a strawberry champagne glaze this Valentine’s Day!
Doughnut you know that I love you? I also love Coty and Mariah from Quirks and Twists; sister-in-laws turned best friends, they blog about everything fabulous; however, I am partial to their amazing recipes.
When they told me they would be sharing a doughnut recipe on Boxwood Avenue, I had to stifle my yelp of joy! Not only because doughnuts are the cool kids on the block these days, but also because the girls included a strawberry champagne glaze in the recipe. Yes, you read that right: chocolate doughnuts with champagne and strawberries. It doesn’t get better than that. No really, it doesn’t.
Hello everyone! We are Coty and Mariah from Quirks and Twists. We are so excited to be guest blogging on Boxwood Avenue and sharing a little Valentine’s Day love with all of you!
When we think Valentines Day, chocolate covered strawberries and champagne come to mind. But that’s old news. So we made it new news by putting it into a doughnut.
What better way to show someone you care than handing over a box of freshly-baked-by-you doughnuts? Doughnuts are pretty much the universal way of saying, ”Hey, I like your face.”
Clint lucked out, and got to be our official Valentine doughnut taste-tester. In his words, they are like a glazed, chocolaty wheel of love. Those were his words people, and we agree.
Bonus: they are baked, so no worrying about frying, and there will be leftover champagne. What else are you going to do with that 18 minutes while they bake?
Chocolate Doughnut Recipe
2 cups bread flour
1 cup light brown sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup strong brewed black coffee, cooled
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup melted semisweet chocolate chips, cooled
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Whisk flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. Whisk together buttermilk, coffee, eggs, butter, vinegar, and vanilla into another mixing bowl.
4. Pour the flour mixture into the wet mixture and stir until fully mixed. Fold in the melted chocolate until just combined.
5. Grease a baked doughnut pan and spoon batter into a gallon sized re-closeable bag. Snip a corner with scissors and pipe batter into the doughnut molds, filling 3/4 of the way.
6. Bake the doughnuts for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of a doughnut.
7. Cool slightly (about 5 minutes) then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. Top with glaze and sprinkles.
Adapted from: Spoon, Fork, Bacon
Strawberry Champagne Glaze
½ cup super smashed strawberries
2 cups confectioners sugar
¼ cup champagne
1. Put all ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk until combined.
2. More champagne can be added, if needed, for a thinner consistency.
No wonder doughnuts are making the rounds these days (see what I did there?). If you loved this post, you are sure to love everything else from these amazing ladies; plus, be sure to check out my DIY wrapping paper post, and while you’re there, you might as well whip up one of these cocktails. It is Friday after all!