Ground Turkey Soup with Salsa Verde
You will love this ground turkey soup recipe with salsa verde and white beans!
Soup is one of my favorite fall dinners for many reasons – healthy, easy to make, and full of flavor. Veggie soup is my go-to detox when I need to cleanse after a weekend of indulging. I love that soup tricks us into eating an entire bowl full of veggies without even realizing it, we should all be very grateful for soup.
I discovered this ground turkey soup recipe at Trader Joes last year. It was one of their taste testers, which I never turn down. Do you? It was full of flavor and packed just enough punch. I loved its Mexican flavor, and when I found out how easy it was to make, I decided to buy the ingredients and give it a go.
This easy recipe has stuck with me, but I have made a few tweaks to it. I know you will love this ground turkey soup recipe especially if you find yourself in need of a lightening fast weeknight meal. I can throw this together in less than 10 minutes and be out the door!
This soup recipe initially called for an entire carton of chicken broth, but I find that when I use an entire carton the soup becomes too salty. I also like to add a can of beans to the soup, which is entirely up to you. You could try black beans or pinto beans, or leave them out altogether.
I add some Mexican seasoning to the meat while I brown it, but it isn’t really necessary. The salsa verde adds a lot of flavor! You can use any type of salsa verde, I typically keep a few jars of mild store-bought salsa in our cupboard just for this recipe, but I am sure homemade salsa verde would be amazing!
I love to top my soup with avocado, cilantro, and lime. Red onions would be delicious as well, but these aren’t necessary! This soup is truly delicious without any toppings. I think you will be surprised how flavorful this easy soup is, I know I was!
- 16-20 oz. (1 package) Ground Turkey
- 16 oz. (1 jar) Mild Salsa Verde
- 16 oz. (2 cups) Shredded Pepperjack
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 can White Beans (rinsed well & drained)
- 2 tsp. Mexican Seasoning
- 2 cups Water
- Brown the turkey in a large dutch oven (or soup pot) over medium/high heat. Use a splash of oil if needed.
- Sprinkle Mexican seasoning (garlic powder, cumin, paprika, chili powder) into the pot while the meat is browning.
- Once the meat has cooked, add the chicken stock, scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom.
- Reduce the heat to low, add water, salsa verde, beans, and pepperjack. Simmer on low for an hour or two.
- If desired top with cilantro, avocado, and lime wedges. Enjoy!