This delicious and healthy paleo chicken soup is the perfect way to detox in the new year! Packed with tons of vegetables, lean chicken, and flavor! The whole family will love this nourishing soup!
Detox Chicken and Vegetable Soup
I know they say scales aren’t an accurate way to judge your health, but ever since my wedding, that scale has been creeping up.
I’ve been enjoying myself, and the holidays, by eating pretty much whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted… Knowing in the back of my mind, that come New Year’s, I would be ditching sugar and grains, and hopping back on the ‘Paleo’ bus. (I put Paleo in little quotation marks, because I am a very, very loose Paleo eater).
Even with my less than text book Paleo eating habits, I do my best to maintain a healthy weight because I don’t deprive myself of life’s little indulgences (here’s to you my $12 block of Parmesan), but I don’t completely splurge either.
I think it’s 100% true when the fitness industry says: balance is key.
But…if you’re like me, and are trying to detox after a very indulgent holiday season, you’ve come to the right place. This is my go-to weeknight dinner! I change it up often, by switching out different types of veggies or proteins so that we don’t get bored, but there’s usually a tupperware full of this in our refrigerator.
I also love making leftover steak salad recipes during the week. If you’re in the mood for some comfort food, I love using preserved kale from my garden for healthy soups like this, it is especially delicious in this kale and chickpea stew recipe!
Paleo Chicken Soup is flavorful, packed with veggies, and is easy to take on the go. It leaves me with no excuse to hold onto those extra pounds I gained over the holidays. I hope you enjoy! Thank you so much for stopping by!
Detox Paleo Chicken and Vegetable Soup Ingredients
- Rotisserie Chicken – Getting a store bought rotisserie chicken saves so much time. It’s a great trick for making any recipe quick!
- Yellow Onion
- Heirloom Carrots
- Baby Potatoes
- Chicken Broth – If you have time, you can always make your own broth!
- Olive Oil
- Herbs of Choice (rosemary / thyme / sage)
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Parmesan Cheese
Make it Paleo Friendly
To make this soup paleo friendly use coconut oil instead of olive oil, sweet potatoes instead of baby potatoes, and skip the parmesan!
Can you make it ahead of time?
Yes, you can make chicken and vegetable soup ahead of time! Undercook the vegetables so that they are very al dente. They will finish cooking when you heat the soup up to serve. Chicken and vegetable soup keeps in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Make sure to thoroughly heat before serving.
Can you freeze the soup?
Yes, you can freeze chicken and vegetable soup, but it’s best to undercook the vegetables a bit. When you re-heat the soup, the vegetables will continue to cook and you want to avoid turning them to mush. If you plan on freezing this soup, undercook the potatoes significantly.
Detox Chicken and Vegetable Soup (Paleo Friendly)
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken meat removed and bones discarded
- 1 Yellow Onion diced
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 3 Stalks Celery
- 3 large Heirloom Carrots
- 10 Baby Potatoes
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Large Bundle Kale
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Fresh Herbs of Choice rosemary / thyme / sage
- Juice from half a Lemon
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Parmesan Cheese for Garnish
- Over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a Dutch oven. Dice onion and mince garlic, and add to the hot oil. Reduce heat slightly, and sauté until softened.
- While the onion is cooking, roughly chop carrots and celery into bite size pieces. Add to the pot, and stir. Let the mixture cook for about 3 minutes, until very fragrant.
- While the celery and carrots soften, remove and shred meat from chicken, and cut potatoes in halves or quarters.
- Add herbs, broth, and lemon juice into pot, scraping the bottom to remove any stuck bits. Then, add the potatoes, chicken, and season with salt & pepper. Simmer for 40 minutes.
- Serve hot, and sprinkle a bit of parmesan cheese on top!