Easy Paleo Side Dish: Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
Looking for an easy, delicious, and healthy side dish this summer (or winter for that matter)? Try this paleo bacon wrapped asparagus cooked in your oven or on the BBQ in under fifteen minutes! Crispy and salty, your whole family will love these!
For a long time, I ate strictly Paleo. While I don’t any longer, I still seem to sway more towards the Paleo spectrum than anything else. These bacon wrapped asparagus spears are diet friendly and delicious.
It’s not always easy to get everyone to eat their veggies, but wrapping them in bacon sure helps. The grease from the bacon coats the asparagus making the spears unbelievably delicious! My husband does NOT eat vegetables, yet he will eat this!
If you’ve got picky eaters, are eating low carb, or are simply looking for an easy vegetable side dish, you will love this bacon wrapped asparagus recipe. It is truly SO easy – simply wrap and bake and you’re done! In less than fifteen minutes, you’ve got yourself a delicious, healthy side dish to serve on week nights or at your next dinner party.
What temperature should bacon wrapped asparagus be cooked?
You want to find the balance of crisp bacon, yet un-burned asparagus. I recommend starting with a 400 degree oven for the first ten minutes of cooking. If after ten minutes the bacon is not crisp, you can turn on the broiler for a few minutes to help that bacon reach the finish line.
Can you BBQ bacon wrapped asparagus?
Absolutely! If you don’t want to roast these in the oven, you can also use your BBQ! Doing so makes clean up a breeze because you don’t have to deal with any bacon grease! Get your grill nice and hot, then place the wrapped spears on indirect heat for 10 minutes, if the bacon isn’t crisping up, you can try some direct heat, but be careful not to burn the asparagus with direct flames.
I always try to pick up nitrate-free bacon, and for this particular recipe, the thinner cut, the better. You want the bacon to be able to crisp up quickly, because no one likes soggy asparagus. Like I mentioned, the grease from the bacon coats the asparagus, so there is really no need to spray or oil up the vegetables before wrapping.
This side dish bundles go perfectly paired with steaks and sweet potato fries…and if you’re feeling like something sweet, try this peach crisp recipe, which is definitely not Paleo.
- 8-10 Asparagus Spears
- 4 Slices Nitrate-Free Bacon
- Maldon Sea Salt (optional)
- Pepper (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Wash and trim asparagus spears.
3. Bunch together 2-3 spears, and wrap tightly with a slice of bacon. Using the tips of your fingers to secure the bacon into place (it should stick to itself).
4. Transfer spears to a slotted baking rack placed over a baking sheet (I LOVE Silpat mats to line my baking mats).
5. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, turning once half-way through. If the bacon is not crisp at the end of the 10 minutes, try turning the broiler on for a few minutes to give it that last little push.
6. Once the bacon is crisp, remove the asparagus from the oven, sprinkle with Maldon sea salt flakes and fresh cracked pepper and serve piping hot!
Preheat your grill, then reduce the flame level to medium-low. Place the bundles on the grill and cover. Cook for 10-12 minutes, or until crispy!
The grease from the bacon may cause flare-ups, so keep the flame level low.If you experience flare-ups, try using the upper grill rack, or placing the bundles on indirect heat.