Searching for the perfect handmade holiday gift? These Cookies in a Jar are the perfect handmade gift for neighbors, teachers, family, and friends!
Whip up a few of these gifts in a jar to keep on hand throughout the holidays, or make a few for everyday gifting like birthdays and hosting gifts.
Learn exactly how to make these darling handmade gifts in under ten minutes for less than $5 per jar! Download the free printable gift tags, and get my tips for creating the perfect cookies in a jar.
Read below for tips and tricks, and get ideas on how to customize this recipe to make it uniquely yours!
These chocolate chip walnut cookies are so delicious, you’ve gotta try making a batch for yourself too! Ready? Let’s get making!
Why we love making cookies in a jar!
A handmade gift is a thoughtful way to show your love during the holidays, that’s why I love crafting handmade gifts in jars!
Having a slew of handmade gifts on hand to gift all throughout the year. These cookies in a jar are the perfect thing to whip up and gift all season long.
You’ll love that you can completely adapt them to make them unique for your own personal touch! Not only are these cookies incredibly EASY to whip up, they’re affordable as well! You can make these gifts for less than $5/jar. The perfect way to show your love when gifting on a budget.
It’s true, cookies will bring joy to anyone! It’s nearly impossible to be sad around a cookie. I am confident that anyone who receives these cookies in a jar will absolutely love it!
Cookies in a Jar Ingredients
- All-Purpose Flour: The base of the cookies, which binds the cookies together.
- Baking Soda: The leavening agent in the cookie, which helps the cookies rise.
- Salt: Balances out the sweetness of the cookies.
- Brown Sugar: Adds a caramelized sweet flavor to the cookie.
- Granulated Sugar: Sweetens the cookies!
- Semi Sweet Chocolate: I love using chocolate bars for this recipe. However, you can use semi-sweet chocolate chips. If using a chocolate bar, roughly chop the chocolate into small bits.
- Walnuts: Completely optional, but the walnuts add a wonderful flavor and crunch to these cookies. Chop them roughly before adding.
Step by Step Instructions for Cookies in a Jar
- Layer the flour at the base of the jar. Gently tap the jar to condense the flour.
- Add the baking soda and salt to the jar.
- Add in the brown sugar, use a spoon to lightly pack the ingredient into a solid, even layer.
- Add the additional sugar. Gently tapping the jar to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- Finally, add the chocolate and nuts – or other desired ingredients.
- Finish with the free printable gift tags and instructions!
Tips for Success & FAQs
These cookies in a jar are incredibly easy, you really can’t mess them up!
There are a few tips for making these even EASIER! I suggest using a funnel to layer the ingredients. This is my favorite funnel.
Be sure to evenly distribute the layers for a more aesthetically pleasing cookie mix in a jar!
Yes! The base: flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt should remain consistent. However, feel free to change the additional ingredients such as swapping caramel chips for the chocolate or adding oats, cranberries, or your other favorite cookie mix-ins!
How to Personalize Cookies in a Jar
The beauty of these cookies in a jar is that they are completely adaptable to suit your preferences!
What should remain consistent? Be sure to leave the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt as-is. Feel free to adjust the remaining ingredients to suit your tastes.
Tip: Keep the proportions the same so that the jars are filled to the top, and not over or under filled.
Some Ideas Include:
- White Chocolate and Cranberries
- Caramel and Pecans
- Crushed Candy Canes and Dark Chocolate Chips
Gifting Cookies in a Jar
Cookies in a jar are the perfect gift to give for a variety of occasions! These are a great option for the holidays, but can also be a great gift for:
- Hostess Gifts
- Teacher Appreciation
- Neighborhood Gifts
- Any other gifting need!
Storage and Shelf Life
These cookies in a jar should be stored in a cool dark place such as a pantry. They are best if used within 1 month so that the ingredients remain fresh!
However, the ingredients are shelf stable and won’t go “bad”.
No doubt, you will love making these easy and affordable cookies in a jar just as much as your recipient will enjoy receiving them!
Not only are these so simple to make, they are completely adaptable to suit whatever your preferences are! Please let me know how you like making these, and leave a five star review! If you snap a photo, be sure to tag us on instagram!
More Recipes for you to Try
Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies in a Jar
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup brown sugar lightly packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 oz. semi sweet chocolate 1/2 bar, chopped roughly
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
To Make the Jars
- Start by layering the 1½ cups all purpose flour at the base of the jar. Tip: Use a funnel for easy layering!Next, add in the ¾ teaspoon baking soda and ½ teaspoon salt.Gently tap the jar on the counter to evenly distribute the ingredients.Then, add the ½ cup brown sugar. Use the back of a spoon to gently pack the sugar into the jar. Top with the ½ cup granulated sugar. Then, add the remaining toppings. 2 oz. semi sweet chocolate, roughly chopped and ½ cup chopped walnuts. Note: You can get creative with these toppings, just keep the ratio the same!Seal the jar, and adorn with the free printable gift tags and baking instructions. The gift tag has instructions for your recipient!
To Bake the Cookies
- You’ll need 1 stick of butter (½ cup), an egg, vanilla, and the cookies in a jar!Preheat oven to 350 F In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together ½ cup butter, 1 room temperature egg, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. On low speed, add in the contents of the jar. Mix until just combined. Divide the dough into 10 evenly sized rounds and place on a lined cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden on top. Do not overbake!