The Best Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, please read my disclosure policy.
Make your own hot chocolate mix with this easy and delicious recipe! Learn how to make hot cocoa mix in under 10 minutes including a free printable gift tag to give as a holiday gift!
If you’re wondering how to make your own homemade hot chocolate mix, this recipe will teach you step-by-step! With just a few simple ingredients you will have your own cocoa mix ready to go in just a few minutes. Not only is this recipe easy, it makes creamy rich hot chocolate that everyone will love! This is a wonderful handmade holiday gift in a jar to gift to neighbors and friends.
This post is sponsored by the makers of Ball® home canning products.*
Hot Chocolate Mix with Cocoa Powder
This recipe is beyond simple to make and takes less than 10 minutes to whip together. If you’re looking for a great handmade gift for the holidays, this is a wonderful idea that is cost effective and EASY! If you don’t have time to whip up hot chocolate cookies, this is a great alternative.
I have included a free printable gift tag for you to print out and attach to Ball® mason jars for a great holiday gift!
Ingredients for Hot Chocolate Mix
- Cocoa Powder: This recipe is for hot chocolate mix with cocoa powder so be sure to use a high quality cocoa to make the best hot chocolate. Guittard is a favorite of mine!
- Powdered Milk: Dehydrated milk will add creaminess to your homemade hot chocolate mix.
- Confectioner’s Sugar: This light and fluffy sugar will sweeten your mix. It is preferred because it dissolves easily into hot liquid.
- Salt: Salt helps balance out the sweetness of the mix.
- Toppings: Top your hot cocoa mix with mini marshmallows (or even try homemade marshmallows!), chocolate chips, or crushed candy cane for a festive addition!
How to make hot chocolate mix?
- Use a sifter to combine the cocoa powder, powdered milk, confectioners sugar, and salt.
- Stir to combine and add any extracts you desire such as peppermint or vanilla.
- Transfer the mixture to Ball® Smooth Sided Pint jars.
- Add a cute gift tag if you’d like! You can download mine for free!
- Do I have to sift the ingredients? Nope – this will simply improve the texture of the mix and make it the BEST mix!
- Can I use regular sugar or brown sugar? Oh yes! I like powdered sugar because it is light and fluffy for this hot chocolate mix. You can absolutely use brown sugar or confectioners sugar. Brown sugar will provide a more rich and caramelized flavor.
What containers to use for this handmade gift?
I love using Ball® mason jars for handmade gifts because they are sustainable and can be reused by the recipient time and time again!
The jars are just for storage of the hot cocoa ingredients; transfer the mix to a different cup with hot liquid when making the cocoa. Using Ball® mason jars with a hot liquid can risk thermal shock.
Click here to shop the Ball® Smooth Sided Pint jars used here!
MORE HOMEMADE HOLIDAY GIFTS IN BALL® MASON JARS
Lavender Bath Soak | Stovetop Potpourri | Candied Almonds
How much hot cocoa mix to use?
This is entirely personal preference, but one thing is for sure: don’t skimp on the mix!
I like 2-3 tablespoons for every 1 cup of liquid, but if you like a more rich hot chocolate drink you can always add more, and vise versa.
Hot Cocoa vs Hot Chocolate
In layman’s terms, they are interchangeable and pretty much the same thing: A warm chocolatey drink that is about as healing as chicken noodle soup. Technically they are different things.
Hot chocolate is made by melting chocolate into hot water or milk while hot cocoa is made with cocoa powder.
For this recipe, we’re calling it hot chocolate mix – but call it what you will, it’s delicious and the perfect handmade gift!
Hot Chocolate without Powdered Milk
If you’re whipping this gift up and don’t have instant powdered milk handy, don’t sweat it. This can be put together without the use of powdered milk, simply leave it out.
When it comes time to make the hot cocoa, be sure to use steamed milk rather than hot water for a creamy and delicious hot beverage!
The Best Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe
The best hot chocolate mix recipe made with quality cocoa powder, dehydrated milk, and of course mini marshmallows!
Hot Chocolate Mix
- 1 1/2 cups quality cocoa powder
- 2 cups powdered milk
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mini Marshmallows
- Chocolate Chips
- Crushed Candy Canes
- Crumbled Toffee
- Sift together cocoa powder, powdered milk, confectioners sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Divide hot chocolate mix evenly into clean dry Ball® Smooth Sided Pint jars leaving 2-3" of head space. *This recipe fills about 3 16 oz. jars.
- Top each jar with optional ingredients such as chocolate chips, crushed candy canes, or miniature marshmallows.
- To make the hot chocolate, stir 2-3 tablespoons mix into 1 cup of hot water or steamed milk.
If leaving out the powdered milk, this recipe is best mixed into steamed milk rather than hot water.
Download the printable gift tags Download the printable gift tags here!!
Shop the Ball® Smooth Sided Pint jars here!
*This is a sponsored post that is part of an ongoing partnership with the Fresh Preserving Division of Newell Brands. They have provided jars, equipment and monetary compensation. All thoughts and opinions expressed remain my own.
Leave a comment
It is nice to have a hot chocolate recipe with real ingredients! Most call for a chemical filled coffee creamer. Thank you!
You’re welcome! Enjoy the hot chocolate!
I have been searching high and low for a quick gift I can make for the masses. Thank you!!!