Chewy Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Chewy and delicious chocolate peppermint cookies are packed with cocoa powder, chocolate chips, peppermint extract, and crushed candy cane! There’s a burst of Christmas flavor in every bite!
Thank you so much for stopping by! This post contains affiliate links, I receive a small amount of compensation if you choose to purchase from my links (for example – as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases). I only link to products that I know and love!
Double Chocolate Chewy Peppermint Cookie Recipe
Today I am sharing a delicious Christmas cookie recipe with you that I am sure you will absolutely love! These chocolate peppermint cookies are chewy and filled with decadent chocolate!
This is the final post of our annual holiday recipe series that I do with my blogging friends. We are each sharing a Christmas cookie favorite on our blogs; I have linked to their recipes at the end of this post! I hope you’ll give them a visit, you might discover some new blogs to read and follow!
Today we invite you to share your favorite Christmas Cookie Recipes with all of us! Share your best Christmas Cookies with us on instagram using #BestChristmasCookieRecipes!
more chocolate peppermint recipes to love!
How to make chocolate peppermint cookies:
To make chocolate peppermint cookies, start by creaming together the butter and the sugars. Once the mixture is light and fluffy, add in the eggs one by one, mixing well between each addition. Once the eggs are mixed in, you’ll add in the vanilla and peppermint extract.
After the extracts are mixed in, sift in the flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder. Mix until thoroughly combined, then stir in crushed candy canes and chocolate chips!
I like to use a cookie dough scoop to keep my cookies uniform size. Scoop cookie dough rounds slightly smaller than a golf ball onto a lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle each cookie with a pinch of coarse sea salt and bake for 8-10 minutes.
Once the cookies are finished baking, remove them from the oven and top with a dusting of crushed candy cane!
pin this for later!
Ingredients for Chocolate Peppermint Cookies:
To make chocolate peppermint cookies you’ll need granulated sugar, brown sugar, high quality butter, eggs, vanilla and peppermint extract, all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, chocolate chips, and candy canes (crushed).
Tips for making the best chocolate peppermint cookies:
- Use high quality chocolate!
- Add peppermint extract
- Don’t forget to add a splash of pure peppermint extract to really bring out the peppermint flavor in the cookies!
- Use premium butter & flour.
- Just like the chocolate, the quality of the butter and flour will have a direct impact on the overall taste of the cookie. Try using Bob’s Red Mill all-purpose flour and fresh local butter!
- Do not over-bake!!
- These cookies are dark in color, so it is very easy to over-bake them! To keep these cookies chewy, it’s important to take them out before they are at the “golden-brown” point. Bake these cookies for 8-10 minutes, when you pull them out, they should be at the point where you’d typically think, “oh they need another minute or two.” They don’t!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened to room-temperature (I prefer salted)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 large eggs (room-temperature)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup crushed candy cane, plus more for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 F, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat baking mat and set aside.
- To crush the candy canes: place unwrapped candy canes in a plastic bag and use the back of a wooden spoon to crush the candy into small bits.
- In a small mixing bowl, sift together: flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl and using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs into the creamed butter one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add in the vanilla and peppermint extract. Beat the mixture until light and fluffy.
Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter & sugar mixture, beat until thoroughly combined. Do not over-beat.
Stir in the chocolate chips and crushed candy cane.
- Use a cookie dough scoop to measure out scoops of dough slightly smaller than golf balls. Space evenly on the lined cookie sheet, and sprinkle with just a tiny pinch of Maldon sea salt. Bake each cookie for 8-10 minutes.
- Once removed from the oven, give them a final sprinkle of crushed candy cane, and enjoy!
Tip: Do not over-bake these cookies! They are best when removed from the oven when you think “these need another minute or two” – they don’t! The cookies will continue to bake slightly once removed from the oven and remain chewy for days (if they last that long!).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Atkinson's Mint Twists Crushed Peppermint Candy for Baking 8 Ounces (1 Bag 8 oz)
- Guittard Chocolate Chip Semisweet 12oz (Pack of 4)
- Maldon Sea Salt Flakes, 8.5 ounce Boxes (Pack of 2)
- KitchenAid KSM150GBQTZ Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Food Grinder Attachment, Toffee Delight
- Wilton 417-1112 Stainless Steel Cookie Scoop, Silver
- Silpat Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, Half Sheet Size, 11-5/8 x 16-1/2
- Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
More Christmas Cookie Recipes
Double Chocolate Junior Mint Cookies by Ella Claire & Co. | Snowball Cookies with Pecans by Live Laugh Rowe | Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies by Boxwood Avenue | Chocolate Covered Peppermint Cookies by Rooms for Rent
Chocolate Peppermint Sandwich Cookies by Jenna Kate at Home | Iced Peanut Butter Cookies by Maison de Pax | Caramel Thumbprint Snickerdoodles by Summer Adams | Peanut Butter Cookie Cups by Town and Country Living
Gooey Butter Christmas Cookies by Tidy Mom | Toasted Coconut Einkron Cookies by Farmhouse on Boone | Christmas Candy (M&M) Cookies by Nina Hendrick | White Chocolate Peppermint Oreos by My Sweet Savannah | Praline Snickerdoodles by So Much Better with Age