Grandma’s Easy Zucchini Bread Recipe
An easy zucchini bread recipe with dried cherries.
As we’ve discussed – my grandmother recently visited. Before she came, she asked if she could bring anything. I told her to bring herself, but of course, she insisted on bringing something else. Because she’s a grandma, and that’s what grandmas do. So I told her to bring some zucchini.
She brought me 4 large zucchinis – some made it into a big salad and the rest went into this bread. She also brought me a handwritten recipe card that looks to be about 40 years old with her zucchini recipe on it. #NeverThrowingThatAway
It called for 3 cups of flour and 3 eggs. Of course, I didn’t realize we were out of eggs until I was halfway through measuring the last 2 cups of flour we had left. Doesn’t life always seem to work like that?
So I had to get crafty. Luckily, our hens are good for something and I was able to find two fresh eggs in the coop. I wasn’t in the mood for grinding flour (read: sarcasm), so I adapted this recipe to fit what I had on hand, and I have to say, it turned out really really good.
My grandma’s recipe called for raisins, but I used cherries. I loved the added tartness. Her recipe also called for walnuts, but I have a severe aversion to any sort of cake product with nuts in it. I am not sure who decided it would be a good idea to add nuts into a cake, but to whoever it was, thanks for ruining at least 23% of cake recipes.
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place cherries in a small bowl of hot water. Let sit.
- Peel 2-3 zucchinis, and shred... or use this really handy tool to chop.
- Drain cherries, and roughly chop. Set Aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, oatmeal, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. About 2 minutes. Stir in applesauce and oil. Add vanilla extract, cherries, and zucchini. Stir to combine.
- Add dry ingredients, and stir until combined.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and bake for about 30 minutes. The bread is done with it peels away from the sides of the pan.