Apple Cake Recipe
This delicious apple cake recipe is beyond easy to make! Filled with apples, cinnamon, walnuts, and drizzled with a sweet glaze on top!
Thank you so much for stopping by! This post contains affiliate links, I receive a small amount of compensation if you choose to purchase from my links (for example – as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases). I only link to products that I know and love!
Apple Cake Recipe
This year I set out to make the best apple cake recipe I could. I started brainstorming ideas and methods for this cake, and the results are pretty spectacular.
This cake is filled with flavor. Each bite contains hints of apple pie spices, a crunch of a walnut, a tart sweetness of apple, and a delicious texture of streusel topping.
I think you’re going to love this recipe!
If you’ve been a long-time reader, you might remember that each year I join together with friends to share seasonal recipes and decorating ideas! My friend Kristen from Ella-Claire Inspired puts this together each year. We are starting things off as we always do…with apple recipes!
Be sure to follow along throughout the rest of the year to find more delicious recipes and ideas from some of my talented blogging friends! Scroll down to the end of this post to visit their blogs and let them know I sent ya! :)
You Might Also Like
The gluten in all-purpose flour will help hold this moist and flavorful cake together.
Baking soda helps baked good rise!
The added molasses in brown sugar gives this cake extra flavor!
Apple Pie Spices
A flavorful mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, all-spice, and ginger!
Freshly diced apples are folded into the batter and add a delicious pop of flavor with each bite of cake!
Walnuts are an optional addition to this cake. We highly recommend them. They add a nice crunch!
I like using oil in my cakes and muffins because it creates a light and fluffy end result!
Pure vanilla extract adds a layer of flavor to baked goods.
The egg will help bind all of the ingredients together in this cake.
Apple sauce provides mooisture and flavor in this apple cake!
This cake is made with a delicious streusel topping! Trust me, you don’t want to skip this.
You’ll need some butter, flour, and brown sugar. You can also add a little bit of the apple pie spice from the cake!
Use a fork to cut the butter into the flour and brown sugar until you have a nice crumbly mixture of brown sugar butter.
This mixture will go on top of the cake and bake to golden perfection!
How to make apple cake:
- To start, make the streusel topping and set it aside.
- Then, prepare the batter. You’ll need two separate bowls. One for the wet ingredients, and one for the dry. Whisk together all of dry ingredients in one bowl, and combine the wet ingredients in another. Then add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- After the batter is made, pour it into a parchment lined loaf pan, and sprinkle it with the streusel topping.
- Bake at 350 F for about 45 minutes or until the cake springs back like a sponge. If the cake is browning on top, but is not yet cooked through, cover with foil and continue to bake until cooked through. It may take up to 1 hour depending on your elevation and oven.
- Let the cake cool and mix up the glaze! Simply stir together 3 tablespoons of milk and 2/3 cup powdered sugar. After the cake has completely cooled, drizzle this on top and enjoy!
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon all-spice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup apple, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together 1 3/4 cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon all spice, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon ginger, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 cup brown sugar. Stir in 1 cup diced apples and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together 1 egg, 1 cup apple sauce, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1/2 cup oil.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients until just combined. Set aside and prepare the crumble.
- Using the back of a fork or your fingers, cut 2 tablespoons butter into 1/8 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup flour until it resembles sand.
- Pour the batter into a parchment paper lined loaf pan. Sprinkle the crumble evenly over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes - 1 hour, or until the cake springs back lightly like a sponge. If the cake is browning on top, but is not yet cooked through, cover with foil and continue to bake until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze: stir together 2/3 cup powdered sugar with 3 tablespoons milk.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before drizzling with glaze.
Check the cake at 45 minutes, If the cake is browning on top, but is not yet cooked through, cover with foil and continue to bake until cooked through.