With just a little scrap fabric and some rice, you can make your own homemade heating pads in under 30 minutes! These pain relieving heating pads are filled with dried lavender and essential oil for the ultimate treat!
Homemade Heating Pad with Rice & Lavender Essential Oil
If you’ve ever experienced terrible cramps or severe muscle pain, chances are you’ve reached for a heating pad. Heat helps relax muscles and can be effective in easing cramps or sore muscles.
Table of Contents
These homemade rice heating pads are infused with dried lavender and essential oil which make them incredibly soothing and relaxing.
Using a rice heating pad is the perfect all natural treatment for tense shoulders or stiff muscles! Popping your homemade heating pad in the microwave before bed will become one of your favorite bed time rituals!
I am excited to share that the last Tuesday of every month will feature a new series called “Reduce, Reuse, Refashion”! This is in collaboration with my friends: Farmhouse on Boone, Rocky Hedge Farm, She Holds Dearly, and Prodigal Pieces!
Each month, we will share creative sewing ideas to repurpose scrap fabric or thrift store finds into something new and beautiful! I am excited to share these homemade rice heating pads as my first project, I hope you enjoy them! Be sure to head over to my friends’ blogs to check out their projects!
For this project, I used leftover linen that I had from the DIY Beeswax Wraps I shared earlier this month! If you’re looking for linen by the yard, this table cloth is great for projects like this! For around $20, you get a great amount of linen to work with!
I love using essential oils in my everyday life. I am a member of Young Living which allows me to get 24% off of all YL products (including the infamous Thieves cleaning products). If you’d like to join so you can receive 24% off too, just click here!
Homemade Rice Heating Pad How To
Homemade Rice Heating Pad
- Sewing machine
- scrap fabric
- 3-4 cups rice depending on size of heating pad
- essential oil optional, I used 10 drops lavender
- 1/2 cup dried lavender optional
- Start with a scrap piece of fabric measuring about 15” x 30”. The size of scrap fabric depends on the size heating pad you’d like to make – this can really be any size.
- Fold the piece of fabric in half, wrong sides together. Stitch along two of the three open sides, leaving one of the side open – we will refer to the open side as the “top” (creating a pillowcase-like shape).
- Turn the fabric right side out. Create small pockets so that the rice is distributed evenly throughout the heating pad. Do this by straight stitching a few lines vertically sewing the front and back of the heating pad together. Leave 1-2” unstitched at the top and bottom of the heating pad. (see photo below)
- In a large bowl, stir dried lavender into the rice. Add 10 drops of lavender essential oil and sitr. Use a small funnel to fill the heating pad with the rice mixture, leave about 1” of head space to allow room for sewing the top closed.
- Once filled, fold in the top to create about a 1/2 inch hem and top stitch over to seal the heating pad.
- To use the rice heating pad, warm in the microwave in 60 second increments until the desired heat is reached. Drape over shoulders, knees, neck, back, or other are of the body that needs a little R&R. Enjoy!