This post may contain affiliate links, please read my disclosure policy.
Tomatillo salsa is simply a taste of summertime with every bite! Enjoy this delicious salsa with a variety of meals or simply as an appetizer with chips!
This yummy salsa verde has a nice earthy and herbal taste. Like mango salsa and peach salsa, tomatillo is a different flavor of salsa. The taste is more herbaceous and fresh, and simply put: green! Read below for tips and tricks for making your own homemade tomatillo salsa verde!
This post is sponsored by the makers of Ball® home canning products.*
Tomatillo Salsa for Canning
This is a wonderful salsa to make homemade preserves with. It’s quite easy to put together with just a few simple ingredients. While regular salsa contains tomatoes, this salsa is made with tomatillos. You’ll also need onions, green chilies, garlic, cilantro, cumin, salt, red pepper flakes, vinegar, and lime juice.
Once all of the ingredients are combined, the tomatillos should be cooked. Many recipes call for roasting the tomatillos prior to making the salsa, but this recipe calls for cooking the salsa after all of the ingredients are brought together. In my opinion, this is quicker and easier!
If you’re wondering what is the difference between tomatillo salsa vs salsa verde, they are the same thing!
How to enjoy this yummy salsa:
- Green enchiladas!
- Chips & Salsa: This is where you will most enjoy the full flavor of this delicious salsa.
- Roasted Pork Tacos with Tomatillo Salsa
Tomatillo Salsa FAQ
This varies on the type of chilies you add to the recipe.
Yes, this makes making tomatillo salsa a breeze! I love using a food processor to combine the ingredients. If you don’t have a food processor, just use a knife to chop the ingredients into your desired consistency.
Tomatillo salsa is not bitter or sour. It has a nice green and earthy flavor like a pesto, but unique to Mexican cuisine.
If you love home canning, be sure to check out some of my favorite preserving recipes! Orange marmalade is a reader fave, and the caramel apple jam is one of my all time favorite recipes! Or if you have more jalapeños than you know what to do with try candied jalapeños, jalapeño jelly, or pickled jalapeños!
The combination of tomatillos, chilies and cilantro creates a salsa with authentic Mexican flavor. In addition to making a great dip for tortilla chips, this salsa pairs perfectly with fajitas, burritos and quesadillas.
Preserving method: Water bath canning
Makes about 4 (8 oz) half pints
- 2 lbs. tomatillos, husks removed, washed, cored and chopped (about 5-1/2 cups)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green chilies
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp minced cilantro
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 4 Tbsp lime juice
- 4 Ball® (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- Optional: Ball® freshTECH Electric Water Bath Canner + Multicooker
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Heat to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Ladle hot salsa in to hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Process jars for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat; remove lid, and let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Quick tip: When cutting or seeding hot peppers, wear rubber gloves to prevent hands from being burned.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
*This is a sponsored post that is part of an ongoing partnership with the Fresh Preserving Division of Newell Brands. They have provided jars, equipment and monetary compensation. All thoughts and opinions expressed remain my own.
Leave a comment
Can I safely double this recipe?
Majestic Pure is a San Diego based brand providing Pure and Natural Botanical Oils and safe yet effective botanical cosmetics with natural benefits. Majestic Pure is a California based brand with a vision to provide pure and natural botanical Oils and safe yet effective botanical cosmetics and hi-tech cosmeceuticals.